As much as we’d hate to admit it, appearance is everything. You can look at something and immediately decide if you like it or not. This is because human beings are visual creatures.
According to, 3M Corporation and Zabisco,
- 90% of information transmitted to the brain is visual, and visuals are processed 60,000X faster in the brain than text.
Associations that are connected to social media are well aware of Facebook and Twitter. Pinterest, however, is a fairly new tool that you can use to market your company. It uses pictures as its primary focus instead of text; in essence it is more eye-catching.
So, when you go to set up your Pinterest account, there are several things to keep in mind:
- You want your pin boards to stand out. Come up with a creative name for each board; really gear it towards a specific purpose. For instance, having a name such as ‘Cool Things’ isn’t going to grab the viewer’s attention. What could be interesting to you may not be to your viewer. Instead, have a title such as ‘Conference Events’ or ‘Inspiration’. That way, when they click on the board they have a better idea of what to expect.
- Not only is it important to be creative when coming up with a board name, but let the viewer really see your personality shine through the pictures that you are pinning. Have fun with it, be unique and add some humor to create the perfect connection with your soon-to-be pinner.
Repin or not to repin, that is the question.
- Using quality images is another important step in the world of Pinterest. Since it is a visual site, people want to be inclined to click on your pictures. Make sure that your pictures are clear and big enough to see. When they click on your picture, it is also a good idea to have it connect to your homepage – more traffic to your website!
- Allow your viewers to repin your pictures to their board. The more people that pin it to their board, the more activity on your site. If you have a conference event coming up, this might incline a broader audience to register or sign up for your newsletter.
Add key words.
- Under any picture that you add to your board, you are able to give a description. Take advatnge of this! Don’t just put any old description; add important key words that viewers are likely to search for, while making sure it relates to your picture. Promote your upcoming conference event by adding a picture of your last event (the large turnout or a keynote speaker) – adding some descriptive information that people can relate to.
Here, at RCG we like to say that people need to be inspired to act. This is a great opportunity for you to take your actions (i.e., pictures of your conference event, the history of your company, etc.) to visually inspire your followers.
Share this post in LinkedIn:
NOT ANOTHER SNOOZELETTER.SIGN UP. BE INSPIRED.